You are an advanced badminton player and want to play badminton in the San Francisco or South San Francisco Bintang and socialize a bit? Join our advanced badminton social group!
You are at least intermediate. You defend well, not just attack. You might have played in D, C, B or A level competitively. You actually have a backhand. You have played in challenge courts and won a few. We have about 20 players in the Advance level.
If you are unsure what level you are at, you are welcome to join Tony on Mon, Wed or Sat (see time locations below) and Tony can tell you if your skills fit well with the group.
Sorry , I do not organize play for beginners, too much difference in skill level affects the level of play and won’t be fun for anyone. I do not organize the play for beginners, but you should just drop by UCSF Parnassus, UCSF Mission Bay or Salvation Army Kroc Center and find someone at your level and ask them to play. Most people are very friendly. Also, please take some group classes and join us when you are at least intermediate.
These are public spaces, you can just go there without joining the social group. But you can just visit these locations to find other players.
Sorry , I do not organize play for intermediate players anymore. You consistently clear, serve, smash, can defend decently and have a decent backhand or around the head shots. You also know how to rotate around the court for doubles. We have 30 players at intermediate level.
Sorry because our group has grown too large, we no longer accept intermediate players into our group. But you can just visit these locations to find other players.
Rules & Etiquette
- Be willing to play with all players at different levels; we can help you pair up to make the teams more even.
- Be friendly and sociable; if you just want to play and not into the talking thing, the challenge court is perfect for that.
- Make sure to rotate out and let everyone get a chance to play; be gracious about volunteering to sit out if you have played more than others.
- Bring your own birdies so we can share the cost when playing (buy at http://www.shuttlecock101.com Black Label, speed 50 or buy at the club)
- Click here to join Slack http://bit.ly/joinsfb
- Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, could be slower
Playing during COVID-19: If you are fully vaccinated, we are starting to play again in Bintang South San Francisco.
- Join Slack http://bit.ly/joinsfb
- There is a link to put your information down at the top of the #sf-badminton channel.
- Check out the court availability
- Join one of the day/time channels
- Try to form a 2-4 people group to book a court to play
Why Is Tony Forming This Social Group?
I used to have a hard time finding people to play and I usually have to audition to show my level of play in order for people to accept me. I hated that part of badminton when I don’t have someone to go with and I have to pair myself with people who only cared about winning on the challenge court. I started this group to help people reconnect with badminton. Often I would hear from people who just moved to San Francisco and have lost their former friends whom they used to play with. I also hear from people who used to play in high school and college but have forgotten about the game when life happens to all of us.
Buying Badminton Stuff Online
(I have no affiliations with any of the online stores)